Design, strategy, leadership.
Designing for people will get you the right results.
I think that less is more, details matter and that great design doesn’t just happen. It comes from hard work, iteration and attention to detail.
I create great user experiences and — perhaps most importantly — I create and grow Design teams that do it even better that I do!
Who am I?
Experienced design professional with more than 20 years specialising in product design and strategy.
What makes me tick?
Working with people, creating things that people love and need… and eating Japanese food.
- Design Leadership
- Design and Product Strategy
- Customer Research and Experience Design
- Interaction and User Interface Design
- Testing, Analytics and Optimisation
- Creative Direction
- I’m most proud of building and developing 2 design teams at Console Connect/PCCW Global and Flight Centre.
- Designing Console Connect from the ground up in true Silicon Valley startup style.
- Producing and rolling out all creative for Flight Centre’s digital signage implementation – much of which is still in use today (more than 5 years later).
- Launching the website and online booking engine for Virgin Australia’s first long haul airline.
Get in touch
Design and Product Strategy and Management
- Market/competitive research and analysis
- Define goals and KPIs
- Develop strategic levers
- Stakeholder engagement
- Develop and manage Program of Work
- Develop and execute Product Roadmaps
- Define Product Strategy
- Agile project management
Customer Research and Experience Design
- One-on-one interviews
- Contextual enquiry
- Survey design and analysis
- Workshop design and facilitation
- Empathy mapping
- Customer journey mapping
- Business process mapping
- Business/stakeholder research
Interaction and User Interface Design
- Wireframing, prototyping and lo-fi through to hi-fi
- Pen and paper!
- Experience maps and process flows
- Co-design workshops with customers
- Responsive design
- Style guide design
- OOH (Out of Home) digital including large format displays and kiosk design using Scala
- Working with Agile teams/methodologies
Testing, Analytics and Optimisation
- One-on-one usability testing design and facilitation
- Remote UX testing using services such as UserTesting.com, Optimal Workshop’s Treejack and Chalkmark.
- Multivariate and A/B testing using VWO (Visual Website Optimizer)
- Click-map analysis using Clicktale
- Channel analysis
- Web analytics using Google Analytics
- Working with third parties such as WebTrends and Global Reviews
- Website feedback analysis using Kampyle and Usabila
UX Direction and Leadership
- Build, maintain and grow UX and product teams
- Define UX and Design strategies then bring them to life
- Ensure Brand is consistent and well represented
- Ensure consistency across UX, Content and Creative strategies and execution
- Develop and mentor UX design professionals
- Enable collaboration
- Evangelise and facilitate ‘Design Thinking’
Education & memberships
- Queensland University of Technology, 1994 – 2001
- Bachelor of Arts (Communication Design)
- Bachelor of Business (Communication)
- Certificate 4 in Management
- Member of UPA – Usability Professionals Association
- Member of Golden Key National Honour Society
I have worked in digital and design since 1999. I started out as a designer and found myself thinking about how people interacted with the websites I was creating. I wanted to know what worked, what didn’t and most importantly, why. I naturally progressed into UX and have extended my skills into product and service analysis and design.
Here is a summary of my career history. Please see my profile on LinkedIn for more details.
Product Design Director
Console Technology Inc.
- Product design and strategy for Silicon Valley-based global networking startup
- Lead small team of outstanding product designers
- Brand development and strategy
- Customer research
- Product roadmap development
- Stakeholder engagement
- Evangalise and operate agile methodologies
Flight Centre Limited
Head of Digital Experience
- Define strategy and program of work for Digital Experience for Flight Centre
- Enable a team of 20 digital specialists and 3 Team Leaders
- Accountable for UX and UI Design, Development and Optimisation
- Customer and competitive research and analysis
- Perform analysis and conversion rate optimisation
- Creative and UX direction
Flight Centre Limited
Leader, Design & User Experience
- Leading online design and user experience for Flight Centre, Student Flights, Escape Travel and associated brands
- Establishing Flight Centre’s first Design and UX team
Senior Consultant – Usability and Interaction design
- Research & analysis
- Interaction, interface and information design
- Testing & evaluation
- Project Management
Virgin Australia Airlines
Usability and Design Specialist (various positions)
- Develop and manage online strategy and continuous improvement for all websites and online booking engines
- UI and interaction design, testing and optimisation
Suncorp Bank & Insurance
Online Customer Experience Advisor
- Customer experience lead for Suncorp and GIO websites and online tools
Design and Usability Specialist
- Design and develop websites, Intranets and applications
Queensland University of Technology
- Deliver seminars and tutor students in the technical and creative areas of web design, usability and multimedia development